I admit keeping this blog going is getting hard … I feel I am so far behind I can’t even see the tunnel anymore … ouch. But resilience is the mantra of this year, so here we go.
Good news first: I completed my first painting in years! It was not an easy journey. The first version did not turn out quite right – the woodgrain and staining were too busy and ‘woodish’. I switched to a smaller salvaged plywood board, stained it ‘moody dark’, and changed the colour pallet to match an older painting that conveyed the atmosphere I am after.
I also reviewed the idea to anchor the character by adding plant motives around it – nice idea, but it’s not me. My characters are solitary or bring their imaginary friends; they sometimes carry gifts or are surrounded by strange symbols; if I want to change that, the leavy bits were not the right way to go. This lesson was underpinned when I tried to use the seedling motives you can see in other paintings and almost had to start all over a third time – one sleepless night and an early morning of meticulous sanding with 900-grain sandpaper saved that day.
Now, the sleeping beauty is anchored by a couple of dream leaves, a red moon, and a crystal – therefore the title The tree, the moon, and the crystal.
Art(work): One ‘completed’ painting. More sketches and exercises … not too bad.
Promotion and social media: Nada :(.
Editing and rewrites: 2801 words – approx. 570 words per day … well under the 1000 words per day / 5 days a week target. Ouch.
Renovations: There is no way feasible way to insulate the floor, so I switched to finishing the living room.
Garden: Section 3 in the garden is ‘finished’. Yay! Plan for Section 3B is in progress … .