Week 27 – Onwards and upwards. Again.

Week 25 – I made better progress this week … with a bit of cheating; this post is two days late, and I ‘finished’ the four new paper mache creatures yesterday :). All four still need the final touches and varnish. The white ones are awaiting further detailing, and I keep changing their feet – stripes or no stripes seems to be the questions and which colours to choose.

Papermache creatures in the making
Papermache creatures in the making
Papermache creatures in the making
Papermache creatures in the making

I finally completed my course work and final project for the Domestika course Illustration Techniques to Unlock your Creativity. Nothing I am super proud of other than the fact that I completed all the exercises with stubborn resilience no matter the often clumsy results.   

Lessons learnt: 

  • Bigger sketchbook (A4 might be a good size)
  • Heavier paper (200+ for water work)
  • Concentrate less on a presentable outcome and more on trying new things 
  • A reminder that monoprints, stencils and collages as fun. 
  • A reminder that I am most comfortable with fluid acrylics, but I can see the usefulness of the techniques discussed in the course for work that is scanned and printed or used as a base for digital illustrations.  

Summary: Back to basics can be helpful. Not all the techniques worked for me, but my main aim was to loosen my tight ‘produce, produce, produce’ knot and to rediscover that making art should be fun :). 

Sketchbook experiments - paper cuts
Sketchbook experiments – paper cuts
Sketchbook experiments - printing with paper stencils experiments
Sketchbook experiments – printing with paper stencils experiments
Sketchbook experiments - trees experiments
Sketchbook experiments – trees
Sketchbook experiments - paper cuts
Sketchbook experiments – paper cuts

So … onwards and upwards. Again.

Progress log

Art(work): Completed course work for one online course, ‘finished’ four paper mache creatures, shipped new orders.

Promotion and social media: Ah well …  shame on me, I guess.

Editing and rewrites: 4481 words – approx. 890 words per day … better than last week … still under the 1000 words per day / 5 days a week target.

Renovation: Exterior paint – The undercoat for the whole eastern wall is done (with lots of help from my partner this week). Yay! The gasmeter has been moved.

Garden: Little brick patio is done, and work on the little wood block patio has started.